Currently cans of beans run 4 for $5 to .99 each. EXPENSIVE and the quality is not the greatest. I’ve tried many brands, probably every brand available at Whole Foods, Lassen’s Sprouts, Pavillion’s, Vons and Stater Bros.
I have begun the quest to make my own black beans (stove top) and failed about 4 or 5 times over the past 8 years. They were ALWAYS crunchy. We wasted so much time and money (and anticipation)!
The Instant Pot Pressure Cooker has saved the day for me and I am happy to present a recipe to make some seriously DELICIOUS black beans in 40 minutes.
This is a variation of a few recipes I read online and my many failures.
The flavor of these beans: salty and savory.
Set these items out before you begin.
- a Pressure Cooker like Instant Pot
- 2 cups Dry beans (preferably organic) rinsed and duds/dirt picked out
- 8 cups veggie stock
- 1 yellow onion cut in half (take off outer shell)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1t cumin
- 1t sea salt
- 1 orange cut in half
- Place all ingredients in Instant Pot.
- Set on HIGH.
- Cook for 40 minutes.
- Let is release on its own for the best results.
- Open lid according to instruction and serve up!